Sunday 15 February 2009


Marcel Sparmann

(Germany)

Walk to Glasgow - Part 2

I would like to continue and complete my performance Walk to Glasgow at the National Review of Live Art in 2009. In part one, I will cover the distance from Hildesheim to Glasgow by walking back and forth between my house and the university. Part two marks my arrival in Glasgow.

The performance in Glasgow will be set in the surroundings of The Arches. The focal point will be in the foyer of the building. There will be a set table and two chairs. Presented on the table will be several different welcome dishes like bread, salt and wine.

The pathways will lead me on a circular route around The Arches in the centre. One circuit will be complete whenever I have walked on every path around the building at least once.

I will walk the paths around for the duration of the festival, day and night. Whenever I am too tired to walk on I will put up a small tent, which I will carry with me throughout. After a short break I will keep on walking.

During the opening hours visitors will be welcome to walk with me. I would like to meet them and learn about their origins and their place of birth, typical customs and rituals. For documentation I will carry the logbook from my first performance, Walk to Glasgow – Part 1, in which visitors can read and find out more about the first part and people who walked with me before. At the beginning and end of every shared walk I will take photographs and measure the total distance walked with every person.

The shared walk is finished whenever a route on the paths is complete. After this, I will share a meal with the person that walked with me.

The performance comes to an end when the NRLA closes.

Born in Gera, Germany, Marcel is currently studying Theatre/Performance Art in Hildesheim.

National Review of Live Arts, Glasgow


No comments:

Post a Comment